- The fresh minds are definitely better to be molded as per the organizational requirement.
- They bring the refreshing energy and great learning attitude.
- Fresh Talent can take the risk in innovating new things and do things differently.
- Organizational Vision, Mission and Values can be imbibed with least resistance as the acceptance for change is very high in Fresh Talent.
Most job-seekers wish they could unlock the secret formula to winning the hearts and minds of employers. What, they wonder, is that unique combination of skills and values that make employers make a hiring decision in your favor. Every employer is looking for a specific set of skills and behavioral patterns which they believe is an indicator of exceptional talent and is an indicator of a spark in the person. Employers want to know what the prospective employee is capable of doing. Hence it is important that each job seeker must carefully craft his curriculum vitae with information that will create an interest in the employer to meet you.
Numerous studies have identified these critical employability skills, sometimes referred to as "soft skills." So, what are these critical employability skills that employers demand of job-seekers?
1. Communications Skills (listening, verbal, written). By far, the one skill mentioned most often by employers is the ability to listen, write, and speak effectively. Successful communication is critical in business.
2. Analytical Skills. Deals with your ability to assess a situation, seek multiple perspectives, gather more information if necessary, and identify key issues that need to be addressed.
3. Computer/ Technical Literacy. Almost all jobs now require some basic understanding of computer hardware and software, especially word processing, spreadsheets, and email, with extensive software proficiency covering wide variety of applications.
4. Leadership/Management Skills.Goal-driven leader who maintains a productive climate and confidently motivates, mobilizes, and coaches employees to meet high performance standards
5. Flexibility/Adaptability.Deals with your ability to manage multiple assignments and tasks, set priorities, and adapt to changing conditions and work assignments.
6. Interpersonal Abilities.The ability to relate to your co-workers, inspire others to participate, and mitigate conflict with co-workers is essential given the amount of time spent at work each day.
7. Teamwork.Because so many jobs involve working in one or more work-groups, you must have the ability to work with others in a professional manner while attempting to achieve a common goal.
8. Honesty/Integrity/Morality. Employers probably respect personal integrity more than any other value, especially in light of the many recent corporate scandals.
How can you develop these abilities? It’s a process which starts the day you enter college.
- Use every opportunity at college to participate and contribute
- If you are a sports person, participating in most of the competitions and specially team events would be of great help. Alternatively if you have participated individually and as a special interest would help to project your initiative levels.
- Being a member of your college committees for contributing your efforts be a great help in team working ability. Creating technical working groups which can help enhance your technology and functional expertise in your area of specialization.
- If you have participated in any of the Seminars done by your college and outside college would also help in projecting your acumen for contribution to newer areas/places.
- Participate in Inter-college Competition related to Cultural or Team Events.
- Any individual projects or group projects other than your curriculum would help in projecting you to be an innovative and creative Bee.
- Interact with each of the guest faculty who visits your college and seek information that you are interested. Do a bit of ground work on the speaker in advance and list questions that you would like to answer.
Do remember that employers look for leadership talent they can develop, nurture and that will help them to build their organization capabilities and contribute to organization performance.
S. Jayaraman Director ISB&M Bangalore